Life After Life?




Is there a life after life?

When we expire and shuffle off this mortal coil do we enter an 'other world' and, like a caterpillar transmuting into a butterfly, become a different form of being?

An ethereal spirit perhaps?

Nobody knows for sure... or do they?

Some people who have experienced near death are pretty darned sure. After all, they've allegedly taken a trip to the other side... and returned to tell the tale.

Most who have been subjected to a near death experience (NDE) report floating along a tunnel heading toward a brilliant white light. Some see human shapes and hear voices. Many sense an overwhelming love, a feeling of calm and of well being.

Others may actually see and communicate with loved ones who have already passed over.

So, what is a NDE?

Some argue that it is when the human soul/Ka leaves the physical body and enters the world of spirit while others will say it is simply a form of delirium.

Probably the most vehement critics of NDE is the scientific/medical community.

Their stock theory on this subject is that, as a person reaches the point of death, the body releases endorphins which causes the brain to hallucinate hence; tunnel, light, voices, well being etc.

Now, although I personally believe that we probably do continue to exist in some form or other after death, I like to think I am very open minded and so still try to be objective and weigh up the pro's and con's, look at it from the point of view of believers and non believers.

In this instance however, (for reasons that will become clear), I have to admit that I am a tad biased where this subject is concerned and so find myself leaning more toward the explanations of the NDE folk and further away from the scientific/medical community.

So, I’m going to kinda challenge the scientific/medical theory by relating the true tale of my good friend Dan, (not his real name for obvious reasons).

I first met Dan 15 years ago when I was working as a sound engineer/script and jingle writer in a recording studio.

Dan was a client who had booked the studio to record voice-overs and FX for his latest project, a pilot for a children’s animated TV series.

The moment I met him and shook his hand, I liked him. It was one of those rare but happy ‘instant likes’ .

Constantly smiling and joking around, Dan had, (and has), a gob-smacking zest for life I had never before encountered. Nothing fazed him, nothing was too much trouble. He was always polite and he genuinely - and I do mean genuinely - liked everyone he met.

I am delighted to say that from our first encounter, we got on like a house on fire. Similar tastes in most things and the same odd sense of humour I suppose.

He had, and has, so many friends, I counted myself lucky to be one of them. And still do to this day.

He was pleased with my sound, FX and script work and eventually asked me if I would like to get more involved with scripting his project and I gladly agreed.

The time I spent working with Dan was a joy and as time passed we became close friends. His attitude toward others was amazing. Folk felt instantly at ease in his presence. He would speak to complete strangers like he'd known them all his life. Always praising, never criticising, forever thankful for whatever anyone did for him or on his behalf.

He certainly opened my eyes and, I can safely and thankfully say, changed my outlook on life and altered, for the better, the way I treat and perceive others. (That said, I still get irritated by people who are downright rude though! It’s so unnecessary).

One evening, we were having a few drinks at his home and I asked him why he was the way he was.

He looked at me oddly and for a moment I thought I may have asked a question he was uncomfortable with. But then he grinned, sipped his drink and began to tell me.


For many years, Dan was not a nice man.

He was what is known hereabouts as a ‘hard’ man. Muscular and with a quick temper, he was prone to be argumentative which sometimes led to physical brawls, with Dan invariably emerging as the victor.

A hard working man who provided well for his family, he was nonetheless completely intolerant - though never violent - to his wife and children, cocky and extremely self centred.

Dan did what Dan wanted to do when Dan wanted to do it!

And when Dan wanted to go fishing... He did!

A keen sea fisherman, Dan and three of his friends decided to take his boat out on a fishing trip one wet and windy Sunday morning.

Ignoring the rain, the increasing wind and fairly heavy sea swell, they clambered into the boat and set off.

Several miles out, they cut engines, dropped anchor, cast their lines, opened a few cans of lager and settled down to fish and have a few laughs.

After an hour or so with no luck, the wind at virtually gale force and the rain now lashing down dampening even their fun loving spirits, the four men decided that enough was enough and they would up anchor, start the engine and head for shore.

As they headed in, the weather took a sudden change for the worse and before they knew it, a fierce storm had developed causing the waves to become mountainous, tossing their boat around like a mere toy.

Now seriously afraid and essentially fighting for their lives, they radioed a mayday to the coastguard who promptly raised the alarm and ordered the launching of the lifeboat.

Soon after sending their mayday, the boat was hit side on by a giant wave, tipping the boat over and throwing the four men into the now torturous sea.

As the storm raged about them, Dan and his three friends desperately battled to stay afloat and keep together. But the sea was too strong and as exhaustion took hold, they slowly but surely drifted apart.

By the time the lifeboat located them, they had all drowned, and were floating lifelessly.

The lifeboat men quickly hauled them out and immediately began resuscitation.

Despite the valiant efforts of the truly heroic lifeboat men, Dan was the only survivor. His three friends could not be saved.

And it was this tragic near death experience that changed his life and made him into the caring, honest and loving man he is today.

Now here’s the thing.

Some months later, I asked Dan if, in his drowned state, he had, (as most NDE folk have), seen ‘a light at the end of a tunnel’, so to speak.

And he said that he had not. Nothing. Zilch. Not even the tiniest little spark.

Now, what must be remembered here is that Dan had drowned. He was not breathing, his heart had stopped and he had no pulse. In other words, he was, to all intents and purposes, dead.

So, here’s my argument.

If, as the medical/scientific fraternity believe, endorphins are released at the point of death causing hallucinations which make the NDE person believe they have visited the other side, why didn’t Dan hallucinate!

Surely, he should have done! He was certainly at, or even past, the point of death, of that there is no doubt.

After all, if endorphins are the cause of the NDE then logically every person who experiences near death must, by scientific laws, have such hallucinations!

Does it not follow therefore that as Dan and - it appears - others who have had a NDE did not actually experience anything i.e., ‘visit the other side’, then it must also follow that endorphins can’t possibly be the cause of the Near Death Experience.

That being the case, then maybe – just maybe – NDE is a reality whereby the soul/Ka, depending perhaps on the circumstances surrounding the NDE, sometimes does and then sometimes does not leave the physical body and enter the world of spirit.

One final thought. Although Dan did not experience ‘the light at the end of the tunnel’, he still believes in...

life after life!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe it is hallucination as well, and I should know. Nearly 2 years ago I broke my neck in a water accident and I discovered at a later stage that I had died twice in the immediate aftermath. I will forever thank the powers that be that I was in an air ambulance with experienced paramedics who brought me back to life. Although I have distinct memories that are rather strange I put them down to all of the morphine and other drugs that I was on. When you come close to death your memory plays tricks on you not just because of all of the drugs you are on, but your mind begins to process thoughts so quickly and because it is so confused it puts memories back in the wrong places. People often ask me did I see any bright lights or anything and are often disappointed when I say no. I also believe that people, even religious ones, have a profoundly existential fear of death and claiming a near death experience helps allay those fears upon recovery.

I think it all comes down to the fact that people want to believe and the power of the mind is a very strong thing.

Franky Uk said...

Thank you for that rachy.Your account is really informative and very well put. It certainly makes you think from a different angle.